Highlighting the February 3336 Red Ant Blitz
A new climb for named Mechs was coming up, for the Red Ants this time.
All right, we could also use a couple other Mechs, provided they were of the Anzu or WarHorse model.
For me that meant 1 Warhorse, the Anzu tends to self destruct.
The trouble was more severe than what Mechs to use. I was still in hospital awaiting surgery, and had some real trouble breathing without the life support machinery at my bedside.
But orders were given to prepare the formation, who knew, I might be ambulatory before the climb ended.
It wasn't just one operation. The doctor feared my system couldn't handle it if everything was fixed at once, so I had 3 rounds of surgery placed four days apart. That meant I came out of the induced coma just a few short days before the scramble.
Doctors orders were to rest for at least four nights to let the wounds grow together and the body to be more or less healed. I cursed Boris and Keikko under my breath, their theft of the time coffins made it a necessity to heal in real time.
After four days if forced inactivity I had enough. Sliding carefully out of bed and disconnecting the hoses and monitors I managed to stand upright. Shuffling to the cupboard to put on some clothes turned my vision to monochrome, and actually getting the clothes on opened quite a few stitches.
Grabbing my communicator I told Liiisa to bring the formation around to the hospital, and make sure Bruno was awake and in his Mech this time.
A few minutes later some of my crew got into the hospital room and got me outside and into a Mech.
The entry point to K3 was still manned, but as it was just a few minutes before the scramble they seemed surprised to see us Johnny-come-lately`s. But we got inside without a hassle.
It was more than three dozen other competitors there, most of them in correct formation. As the bottom formation it was necessary to push our way up. Primary targets for doing so was those who were in main, it is always fun to walk over Boreas and such in Ants.
But most were in correct formation, and we were still out in the plains when all above us were in correct formation.
As you all know, Ant fighting is, at least between near equals, a question of attrition. The equipment available doesn't make a great difference between those who can splurge on Niode driven devices and those who use the basic stuff. That is if you use the good stuff, there are some bad pieces out there.
Weapon wise, sure there are differences, but Ants have little armor, and can in general be brought down by one or two hits by a decent weapon. My ace in the sleeve was Brunos WarHorse. He destroyed four to six times his own weight before he fell, As none had more machines then me, that brought us into the lower and middle foothills without to much trouble.
But at the upper foothills we met our match. Michael Beagle of Death`s Collectors cleaned our clocks a couple times. Giving it up as to hard I found another opponent and was soon on the slopes. The last barrier to the top was dispatched and there we were. Now if just the rest could go quietly to sleep….
That didn't happen. A hard strike blew us off the top. I felt the wounds reopening and the cockpit floor was getting slippery from the blood leaking out. After rearranging the formation so I was in the rear, Liisa was told to retake the top. The opposition had started the celebration a bit early, so we still had two lines in reserve when they were chased off.
Then it was sitting quietly and trying to put some dressing on the wounds while the clock ticked. No other opponents disturbed us, so when the light flashed we were still at the top.
The full list of the winners this time was:
- Div 1 209+ (31 Commanders): Sal Vezzosi Jr, Warlock (6s)
- Div 2 -208 (12 Commanders): Randy Taylor, Omegas Legacy (2h,15m)
- Div 3 -156 (39 Commanders): Sten Hugo Hiller, Star League (12m,22s)
- Div 4 -114 (23 Commanders): Yusuke Paul Okabayashi, M&L Blood Wolves (1m,11s)
- Div 5 -98 (22 Commanders): Tarandriel, Death`s Diciples(1m,25s)
- Div 6 -79 (26 Commanders): Bill, Crowell, M&L NecroManiacs (6h,50m)
- Div 7 -62 (17 Commanders): John W Davis, Heroes Ranger Raccoons (5s)
- Div 8 -46 (17 Commanders): Stug Hill, Behemoth (1h,52m)
- Div 9 -35 (7 Commanders): DZ_Howes, Heroes light Brigade (15h,11m)
- Div 10 -29 (24 Commanders): Roy Hunter, Punishers Guild(1d,17h)
- Div 11 -22 (22 Commanders): snowjob, Dr.Z`s BMH Squad (1d,17h)
- Div 12 -14 (27 Commanders): growol, Acadamy (1d,8h)
0+6+0+0+0+0+6+3+4(2S)+2+10(2S)+0= Four Silvers and twenty-seven Bronzes was awarded to Commanders who had overweight Mechs this time.
Total Contestants: 267, Total medals claimed: 169 (of 180 possible)
We had a slight increase of four Commanders showing up compared to the recent unlimited event. Two tops had to few Commanders on them to claim all the prizes (K2 and K9), and a total of 11 Bronzes was sent for resmelting this time.
Fighting varied quite a bit between the various tops. On five of them the Gold got new owners the last half-hour, on two the last few Seconds. At the other end of the scale six Golds were held for more than two hours, half of them for more than a day. Fighting for the lesser prizes varied as well, as seen by the number of medals held for more than 30 minutes in this event:
.............Silvers......Bronzes
Div 1 ....0 of 4.........1 of 10
Div 2 ....2 of 4.........7 of 7
Div 3 ....3 of 4.........2 of 10
Div 4 ....1 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 5 ....3 of 4.........8 of 10
Div 6 ....3 of 4.........8 of 10
Div 7 ....2 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 8 ....4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 9 ....4 of 4.........2 of 2
Div 10 ..2 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 11 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 12 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
From the near total reassignment of medals on Mount Olympus, via the hard fighting on K3 and K4 where more than half the medals changed hands to the static state of K8, K11 and K12. Commanders did what they could, and the prizes were awarded accordingly.
At the award ceremony I had managed to close most of the wounds, and received my medal without fainting. Most of the other winners soon took off, but one was a bit slow off the mark. Maneuvering myself closer was hurting like Blazes, but I managed to get his attention. After a brief exchange I had secured an interview, and we sat at a table my crew had brought for the purpose.
Sten Hugo Hiller
We have here one of the several successful intermediate commanders. From his start back in the April `18 35 Alive where he got a Silver, via the Icey blast in June the same year where he took his first Gold, he have become a regular medal taker and have almost one Nephilax for each level.
Congrats on your win. That makes it what, the 45th so far?
Stug Hill
That is correct sir, I have been lucky in quite a few KotM circuits so far.
Sten Hugo Hiller
No need to call me sir, I am a working pilot just as you are.
And when it comes to luck, you kept the top spot for more than an hour, so skill are more to blame in my mind.
Most of the wins you have gotten are in the lighter end of the scale, is that what you prefer?
Stug Hill
Not that I prefer them, but at my level there are not so many big Mechs around, unless you have won them in the Wars, and there I have been fighting in the lower divisions where the big Mechs don't show up.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Yes of course. What are your preferences then when it comes to KotMs then?
Stug Hill
Those I can win? Seriously. It isn't so much what I prefer as what events I have Mechs for. The recent Nerio and WarHorse was a total bust as I didn't have a Mech to my name. The newest formats, Quadruple Rainbow and SelfSame, are also a pain in the posterior. I am more comfortable in the Single Rainbow as there are yet few big Mechs in my hangar.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Ok, what is the biggest Mechs you have?
Stug Hill
I have a trio of Guardians and another of Cavaliers in addition to a Pike. But those were won in the Metaverse and are locked until I more than doubles my levels. The biggest I have and can use is a Skriag.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Decent Mech that. Havent gotten one myself yet, but...
Some like Chronos, others dont. What is your take on them?
Stug Hill
It actually depends on what it is besides a Chrono. And if I have the time to be on the top. You need to have a very good formation unless you have time, and a good formation if you do have time. In general I prefer to stay out of them, to much experience gained by always retaking high positions.
Sten Hugo Hiller
That is something that gets not so bad at upper levels, but yes I can sympathize.
So if you could design a new format for the KOTMs what would you prefer?
Stug Hill
I dont know… Perhaps top row, or you could call it Serial Point Mech. Only the Mechs in the top row fights. Would be interesting to see what kind of trample and crit was brought to play.
Sten Hugo Hiller
From your mouth to the developers ears.
What do you think of the new additions when it comes to Mechs, Weapons and Equipment?
Stug Hill
Honestly? Seem to be mostly for the upper tiers. Few if any of the new Mechs and Weapons are for those below Level 100. Admittedly you can buy the Equipment, but not really a point when you don't have the Mechs to put them on. If we don't get New Mechs, and perhaps especially if we do, I would like to get some Upgrades/Extensions for the existing Mechs, many of the older ones are pretty weak compared to others
Sten Hugo Hiller
That is a valid point. Many other Commanders might Wonder how to get as successful when it comes to winning top prizes as you have done, any advices?
Stug Hill
Cover what I consider the basics. Get friends (for gifts, HG and harvesting), that is needed to get resources and increases damage/Dodge. Join a clan so you can get some prizes in the Wars, and the following raids. Try to get some decent formations for the tonnage specialists, and perhaps most importantly; ask those who have been around a while for advice.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Thank you for the time, and good luck in the future.
Stug Hill
Same to you.
He rose and left. I tried to do the same, but the blood loss had weakened me to much. An ambulance got me back to the compound. Jorge was less than thrilled by my antics. I got a room without windows, one door and two orderlies outside who had orders to stun me if I tried to leave before he cleared me for duty.
Upcoming event: Laser Blast Chrono
This is an unlimited event, and it have not only one but two twists. Firstly it is a Laser event, so all Lasers will deal 80% more damage than usual.
In addition it is a Chrono, so scoring is determined on the performance of contestants over the Whole Climb.
Sign up soonest and try to stay near the top to get the best prizes.
Event ends June 11 between 1900 and 1930 New York Time
Any fresh winners can try to get in touch to tell their story, the first to grab hold of me before the report is finished might get a few Niodes for sharing their thoughts.
(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)
