Highlighting the January 3331 Smaller Gateways
This was my third try on Mount Olympus (K1) in this cycle, and again the scales were being touched to my opponents disfavor. It was a limited tonnage event, so I could only hope to be out massed by a huge margin this time.
"Hope to be out massed" might sound strange to those who are unfamiliar with how the limited tonnage works. In essence; If your tonnage is to high, the craftsmen will start disqualifying Mechs from the formation. They start from the rear end of the bottom line and work forward. If you are still overweight they start at the second lowest line, from the rear again. Sooner or later you are either out of Mechs (having a 100 ton point Mech in a 95 ton total limit for instance) or reduced to or below the allowed tonnage.
If my esteemed opponents were in customary main formations consisting of 100 tons BFMs, their formations would be reduced to: first 3 lines of 2 Mechs each and then 3 lines of one Mech each.
Of course, the other advantages were still present. Their Mechs would have more equipment, weapons and armor than mine, and if I met a 6-Mech line my force was almost certainly toast. Even the one and two liners would probably be uphill battles, but I would at least have a fighting chance against them.
I joined up early, my crew were told to run away if any opponent approached, but to take notes of the opponents.
Unfortunately the mass readers don't work during the limited tonnage events, so when I returned at t-6 minutes I was effectively fighting blind. Yes, you can use other sources to find their tonnage, but it takes time.
My crew were about as far out on the plain as it was possible to be, and it took some tries to find an overweight opponent. I just took my lumps when I found one opponent in correct formation , and concentrated on those who had been force culled by the craftsmen. This let me have a slow and unsteady advance. Even the two-Mech lines did beat me off more often than not.
After eight minutes and twenty attacks I came into range of the lower foothills.
Unfortunately at that point I was almost out of energy, my hatorades was spent and no supers were to be found. I started to hyperventilate, and my few tries against those above me revealed correct formations. My energy rebuilt slowly, while the fighting on the mountain proper brought other opponents into range of my weapons.
Christine Mainer was the one target I might defeat, she had only 27 grades on me, so her Mechs would only have 9 weapons more than mine. But my try against her was a dismal failure, and I had to do some bandaging to stop minor bleeding. During that bandaging the light flashed and it was over. Those who stood at the tops at the end this time were:
- Div 1 226+(28 Commanders): Fabio Favaro, Warlock (16m,4s)
- Div 2 -225 (18 Commanders): John T Mainer, Spirit of Bunny (2h,45m)
- Div 3 -162 (26 Commanders): Theo Peeples, T.I.o.M.T. (43m,28s)
- Div 4 -117 (25 Commanders): Joshua Eifort, Steampunk Dragons (9m,21s)
- Div 5 -99 (23 Commanders): Chrisbob63, Death`s Dealers (2h,1m)
- Div 6 -79 (28 Commanders): David Sifford, Steampunk Dragons (2m,6s)
- Div 7 -63 (30 Commanders): Shane Pheeney, Smurf War Patrol (1h,27m)
- Div 8 -45 (20 Commanders): Ken Holmes, JP`s Rowdy Bunch (1h,27m)
- Div 9 -31 (12 Commanders): Sa Alice, UNDERWORLD (8m,2s)
- Div 10 -22 (20 Commanders): Sandie Elgie, clown clan (2h,19m)
- Div 11 -14 (6 Commanders): Roy Hunter, Seniores Mech (8h,10m)
- Div 12 -12 (2 Commanders): Max Dixon, ButthurtMonkeyHunters (8h,24m)
Total Contestants: 238, Total Medals 155 (of 180 possible)
3+11(2S)+5+2+6+5+7(1S)+5+10(3S)+5(1S)+1S+0= Eight Silvers and fifty-two Bronzes went to overweight commanders this time.
Compared to the Ant-Chrono 17 fewer commanders showed up. Four Silvers and twenty one Bronzes were unclaimed at the end and were sent for resmelting.
My timepiece got hit in the fighting, and I think we had the end around the 9th minute of the scramble, but I could be wrong a minute or so either way. Three Commanders grabbed a Gold during the probable window, four Golds were held for more than two hours. Outside of K1 and K3 the fighting were limited during the scramble in this event. On K2, K7, K10, K11 and K12 there were no successful attacks at all during the last half-hour.
Medals held for more than half an hour were:
.............Silver......Bronze
Div 1 ....0 of 4.......1 of 10
Div 2 ....4 of 4.....10 of 10
Div 3 ....1 of 4.......4 of 10
Div 4 ....1 of 4.......7 of 10
Div 5 ....4 of 4.......9 of 10
Div 6 ....2 of 4.....10 of 10
Div 7 ....4 of 4.....10 of 10
Div 8 ....2 of 4.......8 of 10
Div 9 ....3 of 4.......7 of 7
Div 10 ..4 of 4......10 of 10
Div 11 ..4 of 4........1 of 1
Div 12 ..1 of 1...........N/A
Best clan this time around were Steampunk Dragons who controlled both K4 and K6. There were no unaligned winners, but Sa Alice of UNDERWORLD repeated her golden performance from the Ant-Chrono
Upcoming event: Triple Rainbow
In the Rainbows there is a limit on how many Mechs of each model you are allowed to bring. In this case the limit is 3. You are of course free to bring 2,1 or 0 of some models without penalty, but the 4th, 5th and so on Mechs of a single model will be disqualified and leave a gaping hole in the formation you are using.
Event ends January 9 between 1600 and 1630 New York time
(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)
