Highlighting the July 3335 Point Mech Panic
Another climb was coming up.
This time the traditional Point Mech event we generally have after the third battle in the wars.
The odds were not in my favor if I chose to join, the regular contenders would have 25-85 levels on me.
On the other hand. When each Commander have just one Mech the RNG gods might smile upon you much more readily than when there are dozens of Mechs involved.
I walked over to the hangar and started thinking of what Mech I should choose when a cold barrel was pressed into my neck.
"Don't even think of it" Bruno growled. "Are you aware how deep into the red you have brought us?"
"Ehm, no, not really" I answered.
My hands were forced behind my back and cuffed, a blindfold and a gag was placed and I was dragged into what I surmised was Brunos office.
He dumped me into one of the bolted chairs he have there and secured me to it.
"OK. Let me explain the situation in a way that perhaps even that excuse for a birdbrain you have might understand.
First, you finally got a bigger hangar, and now have room for 35 Mechs in the formations. Congratulations, good move and all that. What seem to have escaped you, is that we don't have combat worthy Mechs who can step into the formations. Those half built Mechs we have might have served, but we don't have the equipment they need either."
I heard him pour something, and the smell of coffee reached me, but he didn't offer me any.
"Then we come to the fact you was a glory hound in this war. Charging blindly ahead, diving into the opponents and blowing them apart. That brought enough recognition that we are allowed to upgrade all the Mechs twice, but where do we get the resources to do that, hm? You haven't exactly been bringing in bundles lately"
Then I felt him roll up my sleeve, and felt a prick as an injector was used. I faded into blackness and the last I heard was "Don't worry, I have arranged for some to take some notes and footage for you"
After I woke up, in my own bed without any marks mind you, I found the mentioned material on the nightstand. Looking through it I discovered the winners this time had been:
- Div 1 237+ (34 Commanders): German Jaramillo, Arcana Dragons (Pike)(3s)
- Div 2 -236 (14 Commanders): Andy Morris, T.B. BlackWatch (Pike)(6m,14s)
- Div 3 -176 (24 Commanders): James Waddington, Arcana Dragons (Fext)(5s)
- Div 4 -132 (50 Commanders): Shandar Shadowmist, L/C/H/T (Regis)(3s)
- Div 5 -102 (30 Commanders): retiredarmyman, L/C/H/T (Boreas)(3m,53s)
- Div 6 -81 (35 Commanders): MamaMorgie, UNDERWORLD (Dilophos)(10m,47s)
- Div 7 -63 (35 Commanders): Map Chap, I.P.G. (Jadoon)(25m)
- Div 8 -46 (14 Commanders): Aliera Smith, B.G.B.S. (Smilidon)(9m,59s)
- Div 9 -36 (19 Commanders): AuraFr00b, Borg Faction Wars (Spitfire)(2m,6s)
- Div 10 -22 (43 Commanders): Pat Kash, Punishers Guild (Cindron)(59m,38s)
- Div 11 -18 (43 Commanders): McGayver, Borg Faction Wars (Keradon)(5h,18m)
- Div 12 -11 (41 Commanders): Fikri Kurniawan (Shocklite)(2d,4h)
Total Contestants: 382, Total medals claimed: 178 (of 180 possible)
There was a slight drop in participation compared to the mid-war Frontline event. Twenty-seven fewer Commanders showed up this time. Could be many were busy in the raids, but still a very good turnout. I especially like the fact that Our junior Commanders are joining up.
Two Bronzes was sent for resmelting this time, one from K2, the other from K8. Don't know the reasons, pretty wide entry for both, but I suspect the fame factor on K2 could be a reason.
The only Mech who got two Gold this time was the Pike, and that was on the two highest tops. We had two Crystal Models who claimed Gold; Jadoon on K7 and Shocklite on K12.
Nine Golds were decided the last half-hour, three of them the last five seconds. Two Golds were held for more than two hours, one of them by the Shocklite for more than two days. The battles for the lesser prizes varied, as shown by the number of medals held for more than 30 minutes in this event:
.............Silvers......Bronzes
Div 1 ....0 of 4.........2 of 10
Div 2 ....2 of 4.........9 of 9
Div 3 ....1 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 4 ....2 of 4.........7 of 10
Div 5 ....3 of 4.........8 of 10
Div 6 ....1 of 4.........4 of 10
Div 7 ....3 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 8 ....4 of 4.........7 of 9
Div 9 ....3 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 10 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 11 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 12 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
The battles on Mount Olympus were the fiercest, 13 medals changed hands there, and only five were held for more than five minutes. K6 was the only other top where more than half the medals got new holders, and on the three lowest tops there was no successful medal attacks at all.
Three clans scored double Gold in this event; Arcana Dragons on Mount Olympus and K3, Leviathan/Collectors/Heroes/Toys on K4 and K5 in addition to Borg Faction Wars on K9 an K11. None defended their Gold from the Frontline, but we had an unaligned winner; Fikri Kurniavan on K12.
Fikri Kurniawan is a newcomer in the KOTMs. This is his first appearance on the winner list, and he went straight for the top. So far he have increased his energy budget to 30+ and invested some time in learning how to increase damage, mostly using Lasers. He can still not safely pilot Mechs heavier than 45 tons and operates out of Base Themis who have room for 8 Mechs. For clan leaders who want to bolster their strenght after factions dissolve, he might be a Commander to look for.
My editor have been plaguing me on why I don't interview winners anymore. The reasons I give, that none step forth and deadlines, doesn't seem good enough reasons. But in this case, as he had just won, why didn't I get over and get an interview with him?
Ten minutes later I found out. He and the rest of the Arcana Dragons were busy in their Battle Garrisons near the Tournaments facilities, immersed in the preparations to march towards the Unification to smithereens. Their security committee noticed me approaching to the main gate and blew me apart. But something about the IFF transponder made them hesitate, and the security Commander came over.
As I was pried out of my wreck I told him "I am here for an Interview to Cdr. Jaramillo" He hesitated a bit, but some minutes later I was in a briefing room, where after a few moments, the Commander German Jaramillo appeared, wearing his battle equipment and pilot's suit. "Well. I can give you a few minutes before join the battle. This is not my liking to leave my men dealing with any threat without their Commander, and the Unification isn't an easy challenge like to make an exception."
Sten Hugo Hiller:
Thanks for taking the time. You are one of the top Pilots, member of the 300+ club and have so far won 9 Vizi, 11 Zadoc and 68 Nephilax.
It have been a while since we saw you bringing home another Nephilax. Guess you have enough of them, there being a limit of 42 to be used on today's bases?
German Jaramillo:
Once you leave the safety of lower divisions, earning Golds is not longer a common possibility in the first division, those times you manege are rare. In the Olympus you have to compete with the best of best pilots in the whole galaxy, dudes who will overwhelm you even while they keep snoozing.
S.H.H:
Oh, it is hard enough on the lower tops, but perhaps even harder at the rarefied airs of Mount Olympus. One have to ask, What Gold in the KotMs is the most memorable for you, the first, this or some other?
G.J:
Precisely this last competition has given me the most exciting, bloody and implacable combat of all those I can remember.
The fight has been constant and I have been fierce and continuously besieged by seven of the of the most powerful pilots in the whole Galaxy, including three of those I call the Four Riders of the Apocalypse: Dexter Berry, Fabio Favaro and Bernard Johnson.
The combat has been relentless and without truce, and despite everything, I have been able to dominate for a greater frame of time, which together with a certain dose of good luck with the random moment of completion, have given me the triumph.
So, without any doubt, this last KotM has been an epic and unforgettable battle for me.
S.H.H:
Ah, yes. Much more comfortable to take the top and sit back for a couple of days while none can touch you, but really sweet when you have given the best you have versus worthy opponents and triumphed in the end. Have to ask though. I noticed the only Mech to get two Golds this time was the Pike. What is the reason you chose to pilot it, instead of the Humbaba who have won the last two Point Mech competitions in division 1?
Oh, and for the record, who is the fourth rider?
G.J:
The Fourth? Jaime Beltran, from Leviathan, of course. This is hard to precise which one is the strongest, and the title of the deadlier Pilot of the Galaxy is well earned by any of those four, frequently switching between Dexter, Fabio and Beltran.
Regarding the Mech I have chosen for this competition, this is my second KotM Gold in D1 and both have been earned in a Mech Point KotM. My first victory was achieved piloting a Fext class, which can obtain a blitz speed, superb damage and decent precision within a frigid freeze and Crit-kill enough like to disrupt the opponent Mech's systems with ease.
But, the Pike has advantage in that configuration, being able to provide higher Crit-kill and a great slow capability in addition to the Freeze, that sets the opponents in a stasis field from where they will be usually damned to oblivion.
Although I recognize that the Humbaba is formidable, I have found a better setup with the Pike for the abilities I wanted to build up in my Mech for this one-on-one dueling competition.

S.H.H:
I see. Well when top pilots swear by it, and proves by winning they are correct, who am I to question their choice.
Although for me, they seem less effective. Could have something to do with the facts mine aren't fully developed and don't have the super equipment one cant buy in the shops. But back to the KotMs, are there any events you like better than others, or less than others, and if so, why
G.J:
The capabilities of the same Mech change radically according to the upgrading level as for the equipment and weapons that you could load. Particularly, BFMs improve a lot at their highest levels.
I have tried to cover all possible specs, but the truth is that it is impossible to concentrate on all of them with elite gear, so I have chosen to build an unlimited squadron as powerful as possible (that I still struggling to improve), which allows me to create limited tonnage formations, progressive pileups, rainbows, front lines, and Mech Points of a considerable might.
However, I like the Chronos, because to my squad I can add a great time availability to try staying on top, and although the duration of a Chrono is very demanding and tests the patience of any pilot, the reward is higher.
S.H.H:
So you are also one of those who are way behind in Selfsame?
G.J:
In a Selfsame competition I can sit 10 Fexts or 10 Boreas. Provided my Fexts are higher upgraded, they are my choice.
S.H.H:
That is way more than the handful I can field.
But yes Chronos. Seem I seldom have time to fully participate there. If you were to create another KotM event, or bring back one that haven't been around in a while, what would your choice be?
G.J:
A combined Chrono, that had several stages or phases, in each of which the secondary rule that combined with the Chrono would change, would be stimulating, since it would put to the test the capacity of alertness and adaptability of the pilots.
This is an eccentric idea that has just occurred to me, but the competition could be stimulating.
S.H.H:
Ah, so say start for six hour as triple rainbow, then six hours single rainbow, six hours Oggun and six hours Red Ant?
G.J:
Yes. Also, other competitions could be included that combined not two rules, but three: A progressive pileup of 1200 tons in a blitz Chrono, for example.
And finally, it would be interesting to see KotMs that only allowed Mechs, weapons and common quality equipment (crystal)
S.H.H:
Or a light Mech single rainbow 150 tons max, combinations are endless. Are there any KotM events you haven't won yet?
G.J:
Quite a bunch. Surely none Axe Bot event as I keep dissembling every single Axe Bot I could adquire, and the same is applicable with Troopers, Nerios and any other light, medium or heavy Mech I couldn't use for my unlimited formation with a single exception: Novums.
Then, I don't recall having winning a Namtar one either, or a Daemonaide. Although I finally started building a Daemon formation to be able to compete in that category.
S.H.H:
Well you get the chance to win a Daemon competition now, that is the coming event. I know you cant tell everything in a short interview like this, but plenty of junior pilots will surely want some advice on how to get towards where you are now, any tips?
G.J:
Sometimes, the key in crystal Mechs competitions are the two different available Mechs that a commander can include, from any other quality and class. A couple well stuffed Novums could obliterate a full light crystal formation. Vizis and Box Mechs can also be amazing options.
S.H.H:
(Those Box Mechs aren't for sale, and Vizis are kind of hard to come by for starting pilots. But Nephilax and Zadoc work well also.)
I am sure those advices will be well received. Thank you for your...
When I wanted to thank my editor for his time, I found that he had already left his seat. I could barely hear his voice in the corridors, giving loud battle orders to his people, while hurrying towards the hangars where probably his Mech would be ready to enter into combat with those recurring Unification guys.
Until we meet again, and good luck sending back to their parallel galaxy with a good kick-in-the-joint to those Unification guys, I said to the air.
~ ~ ~
Upcoming even: Daemon Deadline
Well this is a split event.
Nobody is allowed to use Mechs heavier than 50 tons, but for those who fight in the top nine divisions there is a further restriction. Only two Non-Daemons (who still cant be heavier than 50 ton each) are allowed.
Equipment and weapons work as normal.
Event ends May 25 between 2000 and 2030 New York Time.
Any fresh winners can try to get in touch to tell their story, the first to grab hold of me before the report is finished might get a few Niodes for sharing their thoughts.
(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)
