May 19, 2018

May 3335 - Quadruple Rainbow

Highlighting the May 3335 Quadruple Rainbow
We of the Bouncing Blue Berserkers had been burning the midnight oil. It was less than four hours until we had to be in the battle lines, but the conference was still dragging on. Finally it seemed to be winding up, and our boss, John T Mainer that is, finished it by an command "Go out and slay Dragons tonight"

I have to admit I was somewhat confused as I filed out, the battle vs the Arcana Dragons wouldn't start until the morning. But as I wearily stumbled toward my bed to try and get some much delayed shuteye, the detachment I had left on the mountain presented me with the bronze they had won, and told me another short climb had started. Would we enter?

Over the past few years the powers that be have used to add a short climb to the schedule just before the opening of the wars. This time was no exception.

I wouldn't mind if they had spaced it a bit, say having it end between battle day one and two, but none have asked me how I prefer it.

But I finally understood John`s Reference. We were to enter and get Golds, preferably from Dragons, but at least denying it to them. Kissing sleep goodbye I mounted my ride and after the expected hassle at the entrance we were let into the K3 area. It was not until then I managed to find out what kind of event it was.

This time it was another of the Quadruple Rainbows, and my prospects seemed grim. Admittedly, I was almost at the top of K3 when it came to levels, but tonnage vise at least 15 opponents had more than 400 tons on me. That of course meant they had more than my 30 Mechs as well, although I doubted more than a couple of them had as many as 35 Mechs.

The kicker was that my formation was a Double Rainbow having delusions of grandeur. Ok, so I had a trio of Fexts and another of Megazomes, but I had 16 different models, and eight of my Mechs were just heavies.

The top positions was a pure Arcana Dragon and Leviathan/Collector/Heroes/Toys mix, five of the former and ten of the latter.
I started way out on the plains and had to expend quite a bit of energy just to get into the foothills. Several bloody fights later the top foothill was mine, and it was time to pick up some gifts, send some supers and hopefully get a few back.

Ah, it seemed the face to face delivery system had some difficulties. They told me they were sorry, but I could try again tomorrow. 
Yes.
Right.

I NEEDED THOSE SUPERS IN 40 MINUTES.

But my needs and their ability to fulfill them was not comparable (sigh), so I had to do the best I could. To add insult to injury, I discovered that my Heavy Guard drones had expired a while back, and the face to face friendly interface for exchanging them had broken down as well.
My crew were again told to hold and take notes as I went out to beg, borrow and steal some drones. I managed to get about half of the number I could deploy before my crew called in a warning about the opponents stirring.

It was now t-12 minutes, and ChenRobbins had just started an offensive. He was still at the lower foothills, but was more than capable of rising further. For me the question was if I could beard the dragon on the top.

Chris Zimmer is an accomplished ace, and while I had 12 levels on him, he had four Mechs and 735 tons (about 28%) on me.

The first dozen tries were dismal failures where I barely saw his fourth line. 
Then it got easier, and I got to his 7th line a couple times. Finally, in the 20th try, his last Mech fell while I still had a wreck of 14 armor points standing.

The scramble was still 10 minutes away, so I didn't expect an immediate response, but when it came I would be essentially helpless. All on the slopes were fully capable of bringing me down, Zimmer could certainly do so as well, and I was about out of energy.

But nothing happened. Ok there was some shuffling out on the plains, but everyone seemed content as to the placements. I didn't believe it. Any second now some would launch a surprise assault and dethrone me.
Except.
It didn't happen. Three minutes before the Maximum time the light flashed and I had gotten a new Nephilax along with my first Quadruple Rainbow Gold.

The full list of winners this time was:
  • Div 1 210+ (28 Commanders): Dexter Berry, Arcana Dragons (3m,37s)
  • Div 2 -209 (12 Commanders): Mike Wach, Arcana Dragons (5s)
  • Div 3 -153 (31 Commanders): Sten Hugo Hiller, B.B.B. (36m,56s)
  • Div 4 -110 (20 Commanders): David Sifford, T.B. BlackWatch (5h,51m)
  • Div 5 -90 (8 Commanders): Eric Simard, M&L B.S.B. (48m,47s)
  • Div 6 -77 (20 Commanders): ANNeditor, M&L B.S.B. (3h,54m)
  • Div 7 -57 (7 Commanders): Mortem Orbisque, Emerald Dragons (4h,14m)
  • Div 8 -45 (10 Commanders): Tanfoglio, T.B. 1st. K. Highlanders (4h,15m)
  • Div 9 -31 (5 Commanders): Wilykat_, Punishers Guild(37m,4s)
  • Div 10 -26 (19 Commanders): Seven_of_9, Borg Faction Wars (21m,29s)
  • Div 11 -17 (3 Commanders): Dick_Dastardly, Jagdstaffel 2 (<1s)
  • Div 12 -15 (15 Commanders): Han0man, Borg Faction Wars (5h,38s)


Total Contestants: 188, Total medals claimed: 135 (of 180 possible)

Ok. The participation was more than halved compared to the Missile Command, and it hit especially hard among the lowest tops. Reasons are probably many, chief among them; It was a short climb, The Faction War was looming ahead and some of the tops had really narrow entry gaps.
A total of two Silvers and fourty-three Bronzes were sent for resmelting.

Fighting for the tops was at least more furious than the last time, Four Golds changed hands the last half-hour, two of them the last five seconds. Five Golds were held for more than two hours. competition for the lesser Medals varied as shown by the number of medals held for more than 30 minutes in this event:

.............Silvers......Bronzes
Div 1 ....0 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 2 ....2 of 4.........7 of 7
Div 3 ....4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 4 ....0 of 4.........5 of 10
Div 5 ....3 of 4.........1 of 3
Div 6 ....2 of 4.........8 of 10
Div 7 ....2 of 4.........1 of 2
Div 8 ....4 of 4.........5 of 5
Div 9 ....1 of 4.........N/A
Div 10 ..3 of 4.........7 of 10
Div 11 ..0 of 2.........N/A
Div 12 ..1 of 4.........5 of 10

The most furious fighting took place on K11. All Medals changed hands, and only one of them was held for more than a second. On Mount Olympus, K4 and K12 more than half the medals changed hands as well. The two tops who didn't have successful medal attacks this time was K3 and K8.

Two clans got double Gold this time; Myth and Legends Bloody Smurfing Bunnies secured K5 and K6, while Borg Faction Wars claimed K10 and K12.
No unaligned winners this time, but Dexter Berry from Arcana Dragons got his second Gold in a row.

Upcoming event: Front Line Fight
It is the traditional mid-war challenge. Recognizing that many Commanders will be reduced to not much more than scraps and wrecks, this time we are only supposed to have the front line ready to fight. If you have more combat worthy Mechs you are free to bring them as well, but no Mechs behind the frontline will be involved in the fighting. This makes the use of Trample Shields unnecessary, and trample weapons unneeded, so switching them for for instance splash and fork weapons is recommended.
Equipment and weapons work as normal.

Event ends May 18 between 2200 and 2230 New York Time.

Any fresh winners can try to get in touch to tell their story, the first to grab hold of me before the report is finished might get a few Niodes for sharing their thoughts.


(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)