Aug 21, 2018

June 3338 - Fourty

Highlighting the June 3338 Fourty

After the 40 Chrono many were surprised to find we had another 40 event coming up, but this time it was sudden Death.
That meant instead of working hard to get points and an advantage, all you had to do was show up and grab a prize the last second.

Of course that is easier said than done, unless you have a formation much stronger than the opponents. And even then timing is more a matter of luck than anything else.

I had succeeded in the Chrono, and despite being kicked up to K2 I decided to try for a follow up win. What I had not noticed was the division limits had been shifted sharply upwards. 
In the Chrono the roof in K2 had been 232, now it was 277.

Going up against opponents having up to 180% of your own level is not a recipe for success and a long life, so my friends in the HG deserted. Cant really blame them, but I had serious trouble calling anyone to my banner, and as the scramble came I had less than half of the allowed number at my back

However, many of the opponents were still in main, and a couple had showed up using Ants. Nothing wrong with Ants, but here they were definitively on the light side.
Those who were in formation was: xZydreck, Melissa Powell, Maria Lindley, Joe Kump and Paul "Paulzilla" Knight from Spirit of Bunny, James Waddington from BlackWatch and Randy Taylor from Omegas Legacy.
And me.
I started by assaulting my former clan leader (Paulzilla), and took the top. Nothing happened for a few Seconds, and I managed to get the wishful thought that the rest of them were asleep.
Well, if they had been my assault had awakened at least some.
Taylor blew me from the top, and I grinned. This was gonna be fun.

It wasn't.
It took me five tries to reclaim the top, and four seconds later he blew me off again. I was in a bad position. He was way stronger, wide awake, and a full complement of friends was watching his back.
All I had going for me was a full set of supers, so I swallowed one and tried him again. Took 7 tries this time, and I held the top for a scant two seconds before he was back.
This was not going well. I had to be double lucky here. Take the top and have it end before he took it back. 
So I was at a guesstimate, when would it end?
I tried him again and again. I took the top a few times more, but was blown back in seconds. The noise had awakened others, and Waddington announced his displeasure of the noise I caused by blowing me to bits.

Fantastic. Now there was at least two awake contenders who could blow me to bits at will. My best hope was to sit back and hope they exhausted each other.
No such thing happened. After waiting for eight minutes I resumed my assaults on the top. By exhausting my supers, i took it three more times, but were blown off just as quickly. Taylor obviously wanted this win.
I started digging into my regular hatorades and launched fresh assaults.

Then some stupid tourist showed up out of nowhere and asked me to identify some hills.
As he was in the LOS, the easiest way to get rid of him would have been to just fire, but the gaming authorities frown on such behavior. Why they allow the tourists on the top in the first place is another matter entirely.
But that tourist wasn't satisfied by me just identifying hills, he wanted to know what waterfalls were as well.
After pointing out some waterfalls he finally left, but the event was over by that time.

The winners this time was:

  • Div 1 278+ (20 Commanders): Claude Poirier, Leviathan (19s)
  • Div 2 -277 (16 Commanders): Randy Taylor, Omegas Legacy (1m,7s)
  • Div 3 -193 (16 Commanders): Peter Marszalek Jr, B.S.T.H. (2h,56m)
  • Div 4 -148 (24 Commanders): John Thorson, Northwind Dragons (10h,20m)
  • Div 5 -114 (26 Commanders): retiredarmyman, Death`s Disturbed Asylum (4h,27m)
  • Div 6 -90 (15 Commanders): RobertS400, Death`s Diciples (2h,47m)
  • Div 7 -75 (20 Commanders): Shane Pheeney, Smurf War Patrol (3h,37m)
  • Div 8 -55 (13 Commanders): Stug Hill, Behemoth (52m,58s)
  • Div 9 -41 (6 Commanders): Recoil, JC`s Rowdy Bunch (14m,52s)
  • Div 10 -32 (12 Commanders): Seven_of_9, Borg (10h,54m)
  • Div 11 -24 (12 Commanders): Pudlish3k, Borg (10h,6m)
  • Div 12 -18 (10 Commanders): growol, Academy (12h,37m)


5+7+7+1+3+5+3+5+1(S)+3+0+0= One Silver and thirty-nine Bronzes went to Commanders who had overweight Point Mechs

Total Contestants: 190, Total medals claimed: 158 (of 180 possible)

Some Commanders might have had enough of the format, others might have been busy in the raid. End result was 80 fewer showed up compared to the Chrono.
This resulted in a total of 22 Bronzes from the five lowest divisions to end up unclaimed and being sent back for resmelting.

Three Golds changed hands the last half-hour, one of them less than a quarter-minute before the end. Eight Golds were held for more than two hours.
Was this because a lack of fighting? Partly, but there was at least some action going on in most of the divisions, just look at the number of medals held for more than 30 minutes in this event:

.............Silvers......Bronzes
Div 1 ....1 of 4.........7 of 10
Div 2 ....1 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 3 ....4 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 4 ....3 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 5 ....4 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 6 ....2 of 4.........9 of 10
Div 7 ....3 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 8 ....4 of 4.........5 of 8
Div 9 ....4 of 4.........0 of 1
Div 10 ..3 of 4.........5 of 7
Div 11 ..4 of 4.........7 of 7
Div 12 ..4 of 4.........5 of 5

Admittedly, not a lot of action, and we had 3 tops where not a single successful attack was launched.

Best clan this time was Borg as they were the only clan to get two Golds. They gathered them from K10 and K11.
No unaligned Commanders managed to secure a win this time.
The only 40 Chrono winner to defend his Gold in the sudden death format was Claude Poirier.

(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)