Highlighting the November 3338 Reverse Ratman
The Namtar events are held from time to time.
Personally I am not a big fan of the Mechs who have built-in Kickback (Anzu and Namtar), but I have several pilots who for some reason or another swear by them.
Thing is, many more Commanders than me don't like them, and acts on it by having few if any of them in their hangars.
Me, I have full formations of most of the Crystal Mechs. Granted, it is a pain in the resource department when upgrading time comes around, but it allows me full flexibility -and the option to enter events and have more legal Mechs than (most of) the opposition.
Here I just was looking in at the event and noticed few were in formation, and of those who were, the tonnage was definitively on the light side. So perhaps I should give it a try?
My Namtar pilots were gathered and I asked if they were willing to participate in a high-risk mission against an opponent that could and would flatline them in a moment if given the chance.
Shouts of "lead us on", "no problem" and "Do you think we are wussies?" answered me.
I made calming motions and they sat down while I outlined the objective, the likely position of the opponent and empathized the need for stealth and sneakiness.
They were sober now. Some were getting a bit green around the gills, but none bolted.
I had assigned the most dangerous part to myself.
I would try to distract Bruno while they tried to get unseen into the hangar, start up the Mechs and get them out before he could stop them.
The operation was a success, and after a quick stop at the infirmary to plug a few bullet holes, I rejoined the formation at t-50 minutes.
We entered and I spent some time out on the plains making sure everything was in working order. At t-3 minutes we struck.
Two quick engagements against opponents who had a total of one Namtar between them brought us to the top foothill. Only one attack separated us from the top.
The top were held by Caitlyn Mainer from Avengers of Bunny. An opponent I have high respect for and who have trounced me numerous times. But in this case I held the upper hand.
Her formation consisted of a full six line of Namtars, I had no more than five in my line, but I had seven lines.
After her wreckage had been unceremoniously dumped from the top I spent the time getting footage of the other tops, it seemed none of the other on my top posed a treat.
When the light flashed the winners were:
Div 1 251+ (20 Commanders): Jeff Haas, Warlock (8m,37s)
Div 2 -250 (13 Commanders): Christine Mainer, Spirit of Bunny (13h,26m)
Div 3 -177 (16 Commanders): Sten Hugo Hiller, Star League (11m,54s)
Div 4 -139 (19 Commanders): Bob Goetz, Death`s Brethren (3m,2s)
Div 5 -108 (17 Commanders): Jack Wade, Sabbatical (15s)
Div 6 -85 (16 Commanders): Paul Olenen, Behemoth (11h,1m)
Div 7 -69 (14 Commanders): Naehan Montales, Smurf War Patrol (6h,6m)
Div 8 -53 (17 Commanders): Ann Kristin Hiller, today and tomorrow (16m,5s)
Div 9 -36 (3 Commanders): Eann Monte, Death`s Demons (7h,28m)
Div 10 -27 (11 Commanders): Pudlish3k, Borg (19h,29m)
Div 11 -22 (11 Commanders): Nergal Raa (18h,56m)
Div 12 -16 (18 Commanders): Enigma, MAGA (7h,33m)
10(1S)+11(2S)+12(3S)+13(G,3S)+12(2S)+13(3S)+10(1S)+11(2S)+3(G,2S)= Two Golds, nineteen Silvers and seventy-four Bronzes were awarded to Commanders who obviously had one or more non-Namtars in their formations.
Or to put it another way.
Of the 120 medals awarded on the top nine divisions, 95 were given to Commanders who were out of formation.
Total Contestants: 175, Total medals claimed: 159 (of 180 possible)
There was a slight rise in participation. Three more Commanders attended this event then the previous Axe Bot fight.
But there wasn't enough competitors, so two Silvers and nineteen Bronzes from five tops were sent for resmelting.
During the last half-hour we saw 5 Golds change hands, one the last quarter-minute. The other seven Golds were held for more than two hours.
Fighting varied between the divisions. From pretty brisk to nonexistent as shown by the number of medals held for more than 30 minutes in this event:
.............Silvers......Bronzes
Div 1 ....3 of 4.......10 of 10
Div 2 ....2 of 4.........8 of 8
Div 3 ....3 of 4.........8 of 10
Div 4 ....1 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 5 ....2 of 4.........6 of 10
Div 6 ....0 of 4.........5 of 10
Div 7 ....4 of 4.........9 of 9
Div 8 ....2 of 4.........4 of 10
Div 9 ....2 of 2......…....N/A
Div 10 ..4 of 4.........7 of 7
Div 11 ..4 of 4.........7 of 7
Div 12 ..4 of 4.......10 of 10
For once Mount Olympus wasn't the hotbed of action. K8, K6 and K4 all saw the majority of medals get new holders, while five of the six lowest tops saw no successful action at all.
Yet again we had an event where no single clan laid claim to more than one top prize. We had one unaligned winner; Nergal Raa on K11. None of the Axe bot winners managed to get a follow up win.
One of the winners was my daughter, Ann Kristin Hiller (959771), and I walked over to give her a hug.
She twisted out of it, and wiped some blood who had leaked out of my bandages from her otherwise spotless uniform.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Congrats on the win. That was your 17th so far, and the third in Namtar, right?
Ann Kristin Hiller
Not exactly. Yes to the 17th, but this is the first Namtar championship I have won, but I have won two 60 tons before.
Sten Hugo Hiller
I stand corrected. You didn't bring many Namtars to the top, why?
Ann Kristin Hiller
I brought the six I had, and in this case it was more than the opponents had so it was enough. Between the education you insist I should get and everything else, I don't have the time to gather resources for hundreds of Mechs
Sten Hugo Hiller
Yes, so Namtar isn't the best event for you. What is your favorite event then?
Ann Kristin Hiller
I don't really have one. But all these Nephilaxes give me an edge when it comes to 40 ton.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Building on previous successes, good idea. What do you think of the Chronos?
Ann Kristin Hiller
Mostly I don't have time for them. But I have won some, four I think.
Sten Hugo Hiller
That is pretty impressive for one who don't have time. Did you participate in the Multiverse?
Ann Kristin Hiller
I was there, but I got there to late to bring back any Mechs.
Sten Hugo Hiller
You were not alone in that. But back to the KotM events. If you could design one event, what would it be?
Ann Kristin Hiller
One everyone could participate in. How about a light Mech only Single Rainbow?
Sten Hugo Hiller
Would be plenty of empty spaces in most formations, but from your lips to the developers ears. What do you think of the new Wave Challenges?
Ann Kristin Hiller
Have gotten some prizes in them. But it depends on the divisions. Like in this Challenge. I have no hope of getting 44 waves. Ending as top five is a fantasy. I barely managed to kill 8 Waves of one Mech. Perhaps the Mechs are tougher in the other divisions, but unless we get more Mechs or different target numbers for the divisions it seem to me those in the top division mostly manage the Wave quests, while few in the lowest can do it.
Sten Hugo Hiller
My impression as well. Do you have any advice to those who want to get top medals but haven't managed it yet?
Ann Kristin Hiller
Get together a specialist formation or four. Be prepared by upgrading them regurarely. When one of the events that fits your formations come along, look at the opponents to see if they seem stronger than you. If not, gather some Super Hatoraides from friends, join up just before the finish and take the top. And be there to take it back if someone displaces you.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Thank you for that advice, anything else to add?
Ann Kristin Hiller
Not really, take care and good luck.
Sten Hugo Hiller
Same to you, say isn't it bedtime for you soon?
She left in a huff, and I wondered how I was going to survive returning the Mechs to the hangar. Perhaps calling ahead and promising Bruno I would stay away from tournaments for the rest of the year.
Upcoming event: Triple Rainbow.
Here there is no restriction on what Mechs you can use, just the number of Mechs of each model. No more than 3 of each is allowed. Should you decide to bring more of some model, all but 3 of that model will be treated as empty spaces in your formation.
Event ends September 3 between 2300 and 2330 New york time.
(By Sten Hugo Hiller - 627184)
